Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in South Burlington, VT?
Ready or not, the colder weather is hitting South Burlington and you still have time to make sure your home’s windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors helps ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on energy costs.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can impact the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from coming back in the home when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can be harsh on exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Evaluate the exterior surface of your windows and doors for signs of moisture leaking, which may include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can share information about newer, energy-efficient products.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in South Burlington at (802) 557-0429.