There is a point every South Burlington winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be emanating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and frosty, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s important to be able to recognize where these window drafts might be originating from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your South Burlington home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Examine for gaps and cracks in uncommon locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the typical windows with operable abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Check to ensure that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only perform as well as it is set up.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in South Burlington to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to concentrate on the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in South Burlington a call at (802) 557-0429 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.