Know when its time for replacement windows and doors with a DIY window and door inspection in South Burlington, VT
When it comes to being a homeowner, the list of to-do’s loads up from day one and never really goes away. One thing that never gets finished is routine home maintenance. While that’s really broad and all-encompassing, you need to ensure it includes an inspection of your windows and doors so you know when the time comes for replacement windows and doors.
Setting aside even 10-15 minutes to do a fast walk around your home to inspect your windows and doors can help provide a better understanding of which rooms or areas of your home could need repair or maintenance and help you prioritize them.
So before you start doing research on replacement windows and doors, glance over this checklist for your inspection.
- Check the finishes around your
windows and doors and see if you notice any flaking or
- Take a close look at the structure of your
windows and doors, noting any
cracking or deteriorating wood as well as any additional
damage that may be caused by water.
- If you discover a problem, find the source. There could
be underlying issues that need
a professional from Pella Windows and Doors to come out
and take a look, and any information is helpful.
- Clean out your window sills and tracks for dirt
and other debris as it might affect the
seal and operation of your windows and doors.
- While you’re taking care of your window sills and tracks, check
the weather stripping around your windows and doors. Re-attach or replace any deteriorating
- Test out the locks on your windows and doors to make certain that they are operating
smoothly and correctly.
- Check the caulking of all your windows and doors as they help shield against air leaks and help protect your home from the elements.
If you’ve taken the time to walk through this checklist, you’ve inspected your home for some of the more common issues we see at Pella Windows and Doors. While some of these problems are easy fixes, please contact us if you have any uncertainty about the condition of your windows and doors. Stop by our South Burlington showroom, give us a call at (802) 557-0429 or schedule an appointment with us online through our online scheduler.