Looking for New Windows in Your South Burlington, VT Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When shopping for windows for your remodeling or new construction project, you naturally want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you make this important decision, ponder these facts:
- Windows can affect the interior and exterior appearance of your South Burlington area home.
- The type of windows you select can make a drastic difference in your home’s energy bills.
- The material and durability of your windows can have a positive cost impact on the resale value of your South Burlington area house if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to explore the style and function options available, you will be happy with your purchase and appreciate the pleasure of gazing through your new windows for years to come.
What factors should you contemplate when purchasing replacement windows for your South Burlington home?
- How will my new windows look? Don’t forget that your family and guests are going to see your replacement windows most often from the interior of your house, not standing outside of it. Stand inside and study the view carefully; will the type of window and color fit with your home’s interior? Is the window accessible for regular cleaning? Will I need to control the amount of sunlight shining in through the window? And remember to stand outside from many viewing positions to evaluate if the style of replacement window you are considering fits with the overall façade of your South Burlington home.
- What is the energy efficiency rating of the windows I am considering? Understand the data relating to your windows that influence their energy efficiency. Among the issues to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values identify the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify efficiency ratings as you conduct your research to help reduce heating and cooling costs and maximize your investment.
- Will your new windows operate as you expect them to? Just like purchasing your vehicle, it is important to test operating your choice of window before you decide to purchase it. Is it easy to open and close the window? Will the window be easy to clean? Can the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window coverings undisturbed? If the window will be an exit from the home during emergency situations in case of fire, make sure it opens easily and provides an adequately-sized opening.
- How will you install the windows? Installation of your windows is either added into the overall purchase price or involves an outside contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How easy is it to clean your new windows? The weather in the South Burlington area varies often. Wind, rain, sun and snow can have a negative impact on the appearance of the glass, especially on low quality windows. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles in order for you to easily clean your windows and allow them to look great for many years to come.
- What is available in terms of color and hardware options? Color options can reflect your style and increases the overall appeal of your South Burlington home. Some window producers offer few exterior color options. Identify what restrictions are in place for the windows you want. Don’t forget, that latches and handles complement the style of your home and coordinate with other hardware options in your home, such as faucets, door knobs, hinges, and cabinetry.
- What is the price? The old saying “you get what you pay for” is especially true when it comes to purchasing quality windows. The cheapest windows may not be your best buy. Shop around and compare. Price should be a factor, but not the only factor.
We encourage you to visit Pella at the South Burlington area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at (802) 557-0429.